Monday, July 25, 2011

Did someone say FAJITAS?!?

So, I haven't blogged in a while. I know you've been hanging by a thread, waiting for something to read. Ha ha. Unfortunately, my child is feeling under the weather today so I have more time to sit and blog. Here is yet another Rachael Ray recipe that is EASY, fast, and healthy! Sounds good, right? I have made this for several friends and family and received good reviews so here it is!

Chicken (and Portobello) Fajitas

The reason I put "(and portobello)" is because if you're like me, and don't like eating fungus, you don't have to put those in and it's just as delicious...probably more so. ;o)

Serves 4
Prep:15 min.
Cook: 15 min.

Tip: "Tossing the chicken with the chili powder and garlic before it hits the skillet lets the flavors sink into this simple summer dish."

Ingredients:
~1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
~1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
~4 cloves of garlic, minced
~1 package (12 oz.) flour tortillas
~3 tbsp. EVOO
~Salt and Pepper
~2 large italian frying peppers, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide strips - (I do not use Italian frying peppers! I can't ever find them, but since I am not a huge fan of spicy, and neither is my child, I use one green bell pepper and one red bell pepper and I think it tastes great!)
~1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
~4 portobello mushroom caps (about 4 inch), sliced 1/4 inch thick - (Like I said, I don't even use these but I know some people love these things so I am letting you have the whole recipe.)
~1 container (7oz.) whole-milk greek yogurt, for serving - (I get the Dannon Greek personal yogurts for $1 each. I either get one or two, dependant on how many people I am serving. One is enough for Joshua and myself. I put this right on the fajita, and it is a healthy, yummy topping!)

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the chili powder and half the garlic.
2. Wrap the tortillas in a sheet of foil, place in the oven and turn to 350 degrees. Let them warm while you cook the chicken and the vegetables.
3. Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 1/2 tbsp. of EVOO and the chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl.
4. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. EVOO and garlic, the frying peppers (or bell peppers) and onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until beginning to char, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.

5. Return the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is hot, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the chicken-vegetable mixture with the warmed tortillas and yogurt.


6. ENJOY!

Hope you like this recipe! I would say the part that takes me the longest is getting fat off of the chicken thighs before I begin cooking. Chicken thighs are YUMMY, full of flavor, and cost less than chicken breast so they are an essential to this recipe (in my opinion) but you will find fat on there that you can cut off first. Serve these up with some chips and salsa (and maybe some margaritas) and enjoy! :o)

And just in case you were wondering, I bet these are the same fajitas Ross cooked up in "Friends." I just want to snap my fingers and jump when I make these. ;o)

No comments: