Monday, May 23, 2011

Sweet & Sour Chicken

So if you know me well, you know I make Rachael Ray recipes a lot. I get her magazine and love it! I took it with me to Wal-Mart to get a week's worth of meals.

Now, I must say I have never been a huge fan of sweet and sour chicken at restaurants. I have never enjoyed the sauce. Well, I thought I would give this recipe a try and it was mmm hmm good if I do say so myself. Here is the recipe:

Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Serves 4

Ingredients:

Salt & Pepper
1 cup white rice
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
2 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. finely grated ginger (OR 1 tsp. dry ginger)
1 and 1/4 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I added 1 green bell pepper too on accident but it tasted good with it, too)

Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 and 3/4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil; stir in the rice. Cover, lower the heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, 2 tsp. of cornstarch, the ketchup, and ginger. In a bowl, toss the chicken with the remaining 2 tsp. of cornstarch, 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of pepper.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the pineapple chunks and reserved chicken.
4. Whisk the pineapple juice mixture into the chicken mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Serve over the rice.

Here is a picture of everything but the rice, if you want to get your tastebuds ready!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=571520641#!/photo.php?fbid=10150186835775642&set=a.10150174722105642.300158.571520641&type=1&theater

ENJOY!

No comments: